Fraternity of Men, Not Boys
“Sigma Nu is an association of congenial minds and kindred souls founded for the specific purpose of influencing the development of mind, heart and character of its members. Its Creed – To Believe in the Life of Love, to Walk in the Way of Honor, to Serve in the Light of Truth – represents the basic principles that form the philosophical underpinnings which guide its actions in the development of future leaders.”
The above quote is from the first paragraph of the preamble in the Risk Reduction Policy and Guidelines. This reminds us of the overall purpose of Sigma Nu. While there must be specific policies and rules governing our activities, the opening paragraph of the Risk Reduction Policy and Guidelines reminds us to not lose sight of the philosophical purpose of Sigma Nu.
And with this higher purpose in mind, Sigma Nu’s Risk Reduction program has been molded and formed over the years. The Fraternity’s risk reduction program is titled “Fraternity of Men, Not Boys.” This was selected to remind us all that this Fraternity will not tolerate childish behavior such as hazing, sexual assault, and alcohol or drug abuse and misuse. We are a Fraternity dedicated to developing the ethical leadership capabilities of collegiate men at higher education institutions.
Sigma Nu is an organization that firmly believes in chapter self-governance. A few pivotal lessons that membership in Sigma Nu provides are learning how to effectively hold your peers accountable and understanding there are consequences for your actions. However, it must be noted, the General Fraternity has a legal and ethical responsibility to investigate and respond to allegations of chapter violations of Fraternity policy and/or law. The resources within this section of the Sigma Nu website will assist you and your chapter in understanding, managing, and reducing risk. If you have any questions or need any assistance in this important area, do not hesitate to contact your chapter’s Leadership Consultant and/or the Director or Associate Director of Risk Reduction at (540) 463-1869.
Where To Find What
The risk reduction section of the Sigma Nu website is comprised of eight different sections:
- Landing page – this is where you are currently. Provides a basic explanation of the Fraternity’s philosophy regarding risk reduction, including links to the Risk Reduction Policy and Guidelines and FIPG Manual.
- Chapter Resources - this section has resources dedicated to reducing and managing risk within the chapter.
- Risk Reduction Chairman – this section includes resources dedicated to helping the Risk Reduction Chairman effectively manage his important duties and responsibilities.
- Social Chairman – similar to the Risk Reduction Chairman section, this webpage includes resources that will help the Social Chairman perform his duties effectively.
- GreekLifeEdu – this section explains the GreekLifeEdu program and the financial incentive policy
- HazingPrevention.Org – this section shares information about Sigma Nu’s longtime partner and HazingPrevention.Org. You can also learn more about the Fraternity’s annual #40Answers campaign within this section.
- National Hazing Prevention Week – this section discusses Sigma Nu’s efforts to support National Hazing Prevention Week and highlights several resources chapters can use to organize and support local National Hazing Prevention Week efforts.
- Fraternity of Men, Not Boys Newsletter – this section includes current and past issues of the Fraternity’s only newsletter dedicated to risk reduction topics and education.
- Don’t Play Doctor – this section includes the Don’t Play Doctor video the Fraternity recently created to urge members to seek medical attention whenever they see a person exhibiting signs of alcohol poisoning.
Risk Reduction Policy and Guidelines
Along with The Law of Sigma Nu Fraternity, Inc. the Risk Reduction Policy and Guidelines provides our constituents with specific policies on areas such as the education of initiates and candidates, chapter activities, premises of the chapter and hazing prevention. This is one of the most important policies for all members, officers, and advisors to know and understand.
Risk Reduction Policy and Guidelines
Sigma Nu is a member of the Fraternal Information and Programming Group (“FIPG”). As such, chapter events and activities are expected to comply with the FIPG risk management policy. This policy mirrors in many ways the Fraternity’s Risk Reduction Policy and Guidelines. The FIPG Manual focuses on explaining the “why” behind components within the FIPG policy as well as how to organize compliant events.