Gamma Pi Chapter Rechartered
POSTED: 2012-10-29 :: LAST UPDATED: 2012-10-29, 09:30 ET
Location: West Virginia University
Designation: Gamma Pi
Re-Chartering Date: October 27, 2012
Installed by: Vice Regent James Owens (Iota Rho)
Campus Snapshot: The West Virginia University campus is located in the middle of the Appalachian Mountain range at the very northern part of West Virginia. Founded in 1867, the University is a public land-grant university and is the largest of its kind in the state. The Greek community has about 15% of the 22,000 undergraduate population.
Chapter Profile: The Gamma Pi Chapter, number 64, was originally founded in 1904 as one of the first national fraternities at West Virginia University. In 1995, the chapter was closed. Since refounding, the colony consistently worked to bring pride and dedication to everything they were involved in, including community service, philanthropic events, intramurals, scholarship and brotherhood.
On October 27, 2012, after a year and a half of hard work, the Gamma Pi Chapter was rechartered, initiating 56 Knights as refounding fathers. The chartering was a very successful event with nearly 150 people in attendance, including Vice-Regent James Owens.
The Gamma Pi Chapter would like to recognize Robert Doyle and the Gamma Pi alumni advisory board for pledging their support to Sigma Nu at West Virginia. The chapter would also like to give a very special thanks to the rest of the alumni, parents, University staff and advisors, as well as the Sigma Nu staff, Vice-Regent James Owens and the High Council for helping to make the Gamma Pi rechartering a success.