Chapter Educational Funds
Chapter Educational Funds are established by alumni for the benefit of a specific chapter. These Funds further the educational and philanthropic Mission of the Foundation by promoting leadership, providing educational facilities and equipment, and implementing scholarship programs for the benefit of members and candidates of the Chapter.
The Chapter Educational Funds program was started for potential donors who want to make a significant gift to the educational programs of their chapter but were reluctant to do so because the gift was not tax-deductible for Federal income purposes. As a 501(c)(3) public charity, the Sigma Nu Educational Foundation affords donors the ability to receive tax-deductions for contributions made to these funds. As contributions are received, they are “earmarked” and placed into an account in the chapter’s name. These funds can be used in the way described below.
If you would like more information on Chapter Educational Funds or would like to establish a Chapter Educational Fund for your chapter, please contact us at (540) 463-1030 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scholarships may be granted to members and/or candidates of the Chapter who are full time students of the college or university with which the Chapter is associated.
The Foundation may make Qualified Housing Grants to or for the benefit of the Chapter. A Qualified Housing Grant is a grant that (a) in the judgment of the Foundation would not jeopardize its exempt status or result in the imposition of any penalties or taxes on the Foundation or any of its officers or Directors, (b) is consistent with the purposes for which the Foundation was organized and is operated, and (c) is made for the purpose of constructing or renovating the areas of the Chapter's chapter house that are used for educational purposes or for the purchase of computers, Internet access, equipment, study desks and chairs, or other property used for educational purposes.
Leadership and Educational
The Foundation may award grants to members or candidates of a Chapter to enable to recipients to attend educational programs (including leadership schools sponsored by the University, Foundation or the Fraternity).
Chapter House Loans
The Foundation may, in its discretion, invest all or any portion of the assets of the Chapter Educational Fund in loans to the Alumni Corporation for the purpose of construction, renovating or furnishing the housing facilities of the Chapter. A Chapter House Loan must (a) bear interest at a rate that is consistent with the rate at which the Alumni Corporation could obtain a similar loan from a financial institution in an arms-length transaction, (b) be secured by a mortgage and (c) include such other terms and conditions as would be required by a commercial lender.
This exciting program provides opportunities to fund the educational purposes of your chapter and the educational and leadership needs of its undergraduate brothers. The Foundation Board of Directors and Staff look forward to hearing from you.
Chapter Educational Funds
Chapter Educational Funds have been created for the following chapters:
- Delta (University of South Carolina) Chapter Educational Fund
- Beta Eta (Indiana University) Chapter Educational Fund
- Beta Theta (Auburn University) Chapter Educational Fund
- Beta Tau (North Carolina State University) Chapter Educational Fund
- Gamma Alpha (Georgia Institute of Technology) Chapter Educational Fund
- Gamma Beta (Northwestern University) Chapter Educational Fund
- Gamma Tau (University of Minnesota) Chapter Educational Fund
- Delta Eta (University of Nebraska) Educational Fund
- Delta Mu (Stetson University) Educational Fund
- Delta Omicron (University of Idaho) Chapter Educational Fund
- Epsilon Mu (Butler University) Chapter Educational Fund
- Epsilon Xi (University of Mississippi) Chapter Educational Fund
- Lambda Epsilon (Texas Christian University) Chapter Educational Fund
- Zeta Zeta (Florida State University) Chapter Educational Fund
- Zeta Xi (University of California, Davis) Chapter Educational Fund
- Zeta Chi (University of Houston) Chapter Educational Fund